Listen to The Backstory: Our new podcast with Jason Bentley
We’ve teamed up with the award-winning radio host and Little Beach House Malibu member Jason Bentley to bring you our new podcast The Backstory, a series of insightful discussions that breaks down the alchemy of the creative process.
The Backstory pairs creative innovators – thinkers, artists, and tastemakers – together to share ideas and make connections. Join Bentley every week to hear never-before-told stories about his guests’ personal stories and the projects that shaped their careers.
Brought to you in partnership with D'USSE Cognac.
Episode 2: actors Rosalind Chao and Justin H Min reflect on Asian-American representation in Hollywood, and what it’s like to be an actor during lockdown
Inspired by this episode and as a fellow creator whose industry has been disrupted during quarantine, Sullivan created the cocktail Home Spicy Home. It adds a kick to your lockdown happy hour with cinnamon powder, lemon juice, and fresh ginger.
1.5 parts D’USSÉ VSOP
1 part oat milk
¾ oz/ 21 ml butter-roasted pineapple cinnamon syrup*
1 part fresh lemon juice
1 barspoon fresh ginger juice
1 egg white
Cinnamon powder for garnish
1. Pour all the ingredients into a shaker, add ice, then shake vigorously.
2. Strain it back in the shaker, discard the ice and shake again to emulsify the egg white.
3. Strain into your glass of choice.
*Pineapple cinnamon syrup
(Makes 500 ml/ one pint)
1 pineapple, peeled
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 oz/ 56g butter
10.5 oz/ 297g sugar
1. Dice the pineapple and put it in a pan, then sprinkle the cinnamon all over and cook on a medium heat with the butter.
2. Once the pineapple is tender, remove from the heat and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
3. Juice it, strain it, and add the same volume of sugar (approximately 10.5 oz). Stir until it has dissolved, then bottle the syrup.
Episode 7: director Darius Marder and composer Ludwig Göransson
Episode 6: actor Casey Affleck and Kathryn Scanlan
Episode 5: director Bryan Fogel
Episode 4: playwright Kemp Powers and composer Terence Blanchard
Episode 3: director Paul Feig and comedian Margaret Cho
Episode 1: actor Kristen Bell and organisational psychologist Adam Grant
House tip: how to make a Home Spicy Home cocktail
Inspired by this week’s episode of The Backstory, Sullivan Doh, D'USSÉ Cognac’s global brand ambassador and mixologist, has created a brand-new cocktail. Watch Doh and Jason Bentley as they prepare a Home Spicy Home cocktail