Home Kitchen: Hong Kong-style yellow curry with Peggy Chan
The chef and founder of Grassroots Pantry shares a vegetarian curry recipe
300g young coconut meat
1 tbsp konbu powder (optional)
60ml non-hydrogenated oil (avocado or extra virgin)
2-3 tbsp Chinese yellow curry paste
500g assorted vegan ‘fish’ balls
500g firm tofu, fried
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Wash, peel and roll-cut the carrots and daikon. Then wash, peel and dice the potatoes.
2. Marinate the coconut meat with the konbu powder and a pinch of salt.
3. Fry the coconut meat in a non-stick pan with a bit of oil, until golden brown on both sides – about five minutes.
4. In a casserole pot, lightly cook the vegetables with two tablespoons of oil for about eight minutes. Then add the curry paste and stir to incorporate evenly.
5. Next, add the coconut meat, then deglaze the pot with water. Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on for 30 to 40 minutes on a medium heat.
6. Add the ‘fish’ balls and tofu. Boil on a medium to high heat with the lid on for another 10 minutes until thoroughly cooked and the liquid has reduced and thickened.
7. Season to taste and serve with steamed short-grain brown rice.