House Recipes: Chopped Salad
Get your fibre, protein and good fats fix with this quick and nutritious meal
Saturday 4 February 2023 By Soho House
The Chopped Salad was first seen on the menu of Italian LA restaurant La Scala in 1956, where it quickly became a favourite among their famous clientele. The style of this salad’s popularity can simply be attributed to the equal proportion of each element, which enables diners to get a perfect, well-distributed bite in every forkful.
At Soho House, our Chopped Salad is a hit with members too, and can be found in our Houses around the world. It’s also super easy to recreate at home. Our tip? Use the best produce you can source.
For the salad
200g chopped salad mix (little gem lettuce, iceberg lettuce and purple cabbage)
75g cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
20g spring onions, julienned
50g cooked smoked chicken, diced
50g cooked bacon lardons
Black pepper and sea salt
35g Cheddar cheese, crumbled
For the white balsamic dressing
15ml white balsamic vinegar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
A pinch of dried oregano
20ml extra virgin olive oil
1. To make the chopped salad mix, finely cut the little gem lettuce, iceberg lettuce and purple cabbage in thin strips, then add to a large mixing bowl.
2. Next, add the tomatoes, spring onion, chicken and bacon, then combine.
3. To make the dressing, add the white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic and oregano to a blender. Blend on high, then add the olive oil.
4. Pour the dressing onto your salad, season with salt and pepper, then mix well.
5. Serve your salad in a bowl and garnish with crumbled Cheddar cheese.