The NYC-based actor, comedian and Saturday Night Live cast member takes us through her typical morning routine
Soho House New York member Ego Nwodim is in her third season as a cast member of Saturday Night Live. A 2019 Variety Comedy Impact honoree, she graduated from the University of Southern California with a degree in biology. Nwodim was a mainstay at Upright Citizens Brigade in Los Angeles and performed as a New Face at the 2016 Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal. She was featured in the 2016 CBS Diversity Showcase, and in 2017 wrote and performed her first-ever one-woman show, Great Black Women ...And Then There’s Me, for a sold-out run in Los Angeles.
Below, she takes us through her typical morning routine.
1. ‘Turn my alarm off. I bought a proper alarm clock a few years ago in an effort to avoid touching my phone first thing in the morning, but the phone won. So, first thing’s first, I touch my phone.’
2. ‘After I’ve put it on silent, I lay for a few minutes and pray to the good Lord that I don’t fall asleep again (without my alarm set to wake me back up), and quietly express gratitude.’
3. ‘Journal. Some call it morning pages. I don’t feel right calling what I do morning pages, because it’s usually a page or less of thoughts, affirmations, prayers, and manifestations. Is that what morning pages are? Then, I read scripture or affirmations and I pray.’
4. ‘Check my phone for emails and texts. What did I miss? Usually nothing because I stay up way too late.’
5. ‘Make myself a cup of tea (usually caffeinated). I like hearing the kettle sing to me.
Then I hop back in bed for a little bit to enjoy my tea and skim the news online.’
6. ‘Brush my teeth, wash my face, and take a hot shower.’