Samah Dada’s vegan chocolate tahini brownies
The Soho House New York member and Dada Eats founder shows us how to make one of her favourite recipes
Cookbook author and TV host, Samah Dada, provides her go-to recipe for vegan chocolate tahini brownies. They’re guaranteed to make your mouth water.
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 5 tbsp warm water)
1 cup chocolate chips
2 tsp coconut oil
⅔ cup tahini
½ cup coconut sugar
¼cup maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups almond flour
½ tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
¼ cup non-dairy milk
Chocolate chips for the topping
Tahini for swirling
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 170°C and line a 9x9 baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Prepare your flax eggs by combining the ground flaxseed with warm water. Set this mixture aside to thicken up for about five minutes. This works as our vegan egg replacer.
3. Melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler, or by combining the coconut oil and chocolate chips in a bowl, then melting them in the microwave in 15 to 20 second increments until smooth and glossy. Stir throughout.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the tahini and coconut sugar. Mix until thoroughly incorporated, then add the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
5. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
6. Combine the almond flour mixture with the tahini mixture.
7. Add the non-dairy milk to help everything come together (I like using oat milk here) and fold in the chocolate.
8. Transfer the brownie batter into your prepared tin, smoothing it out until evenly distributed. Add extra chocolate chips on top and a swirl of tahini, if desired.
9. Bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool before serving.