The Weekend Recipe: House signature Macaroni Cheese
It’s the season for comfort food – and very few things hit the spot like this classic that’s served across our Houses globally
Saturday 5 November 2022 By Soho House
The days are getting shorter, but the good news is that winter is the perfect time for comfort food. This buttery Macaroni Cheese is a great dish for celebratory gatherings – Thanksgiving, Christmas, or a weekend lunch hosted for your nearest and dearest – or simply a treat for yourself. Balance it out with a nice salad and tuck in – it’s been a long-standing favourite across our Houses for a reason.
350g/ 12oz macaroni
35g/ 1oz butter
35g/ 1oz plain flour
500ml/ 17fl oz whole milk
325g/ 11oz Cheddar, grated
100g/ 3oz Parmesan, grated
½ tbsp of English mustard
Salt and pepper
1. In a large pan of salted boiling water, cook the macaroni for eight to 10 minutes, until it is ‘al dente’ – try not to overcook the pasta as it will continue to cook in the oven. Drain well and set aside.
2. In a separate, large, grill-proof pan, melt the butter. We use traditional copper pots, but if you don’t have one you can use any kind of cast-iron or ovenproof dish. Choose one that looks good enough to take to the table. Mix in the flour and keep cooking for a few
minutes, stirring all the time until the mixture forms a ‘roux’, a shiny golden paste.
3. Gradually whisk the milk in, a little at a time, and cook over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring all the time and cook until you have a smooth and glossy sauce that gradually thickens. (Don’t worry if it still seems a bit thin at this stage, it will thicken up later in the oven.)
4. Off the heat, add around half of the Cheddar and half of the Parmesan to the sauce, along with the mustard, and salt and pepper. Keep stirring until it has all melted.
5. Preheat the grill as high as it will go. Pour the macaroni into the sauce and mix everything together, then sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar and Parmesan. Grill (or place into a hot oven for 15 minutes if you don’t have a grill), until the mixture is golden and bubbling with a crispy top. Serve immediately.