House Recipes: Brick Chicken
Turn this Soho House favourite into a dinner party hit with our speedier way to prepare this dish
Saturday 28 January 2023 By Soho House
Brick Chicken is one of our undisputable House favourites: the crispy yet succulent chicken served with tender spinach and flavourful gravy is truly a dish for any occasion. In the kitchen, it takes hours of prep for the best results, but we asked our chefs to create a quicker, home-friendly version so you can make it too.
Splash of olive oil
Half a boneless chicken, breast or thigh
10g (or 3 cloves) garlic confit
¼ of a lemon
For the gravy
½ cup Marsala or white wine or chicken stock
1 tsp cornstarch in 3-4 tbsp water, to make cornstarch slurry
1. Add the cooking oil to a large skillet and place over a medium-low heat (or medium for thin-cut breasts). Once hot, swirl the oil to coat the skillet.
2. Add the chicken breast to the skillet and cook for about eight minutes without flipping (five minutes for thin-cut breasts). Flip the chicken, then cook it on the other side until it’s well browned and cooked through.
3. For extra delicious chicken, add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet, allow it to melt, then flip the meat a couple of times to coat in the melted butter.
4. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and allow it to rest for five minutes before slicing and serving.
5. Once you’ve taken out the chicken, make the gravy by deglazing the pan on a low heat with wine, masala or stock, then thicken with the cornstarch mixture slowly.
6. Wash the spinach, pat it dry, then warm it up in pan using butter or olive oil just before serving.
7. If you’re not using store-bought garlic confit, submerge the garlic cloves in oil, then cook on a low heat until soft and tender to make your own.
8. Serve the chicken with the spinach, lemon, garlic and gravy.